Hearty Italian ribollita pairs the fresh & healthy flavor of Italian vegetables with rich chicken broth, cannellini beans, fresh herbs, rustic bread and Parmesan cheese for a satisfying one-dish meal.
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Serves:|
|30 minutes||45 minutes||8|
- 3 (15.5-oz.) cans cannellini beans
- 4 cups cubed sourdough bread, stale
- 3/4 cups olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 medium onions)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 4 cups chopped kale (1 bunch)
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups diced red skinned potatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, kale, cabbage, and basil. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Puree 1 can of beans (with liquid) in food processor until smooth.
- Add pureed beans, 2 remaining cans of beans (with liquid), potatoes, and chicken broth to soup pot. Simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add bread to soup and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve soup in large bowls and top evenly with Parmesan cheese.